One of the greatest challenges of working remotely is actually getting the work done. It seems that many people can’t even fathom the idea of working from home, or don’t think that it’s possible. It can definitely be a learning curve for many people, but it’s important to remember that with the right attitude from the start, anything can be made possible.
Here are the 5 best tips to make sure you are making the most out of working remotely, wherever that may be!
1. Create a work space. One of the most important things to remember when working remotely is to have a designated work area. Whether that be a home office or working space, or even a local library or coffee shop.
This is important as you want to make sure that you’re not mixing your home life with work, as this can cause a lack of motivation as well as distraction. Although it may seem so nice to be working out of bed or even on the couch, it’s really important to be at a proper desk space because this helps create the ‘office’ feel.
2. Set a schedule. Having a weekly or even daily schedule is necessary as you can set large and small goals to make sure that you are keeping on track. A schedule will also help you stick to your daily work hours, take necessary breaks, and meet your deadlines (rather than putting things off), which is a constant struggle when working remotely.
Set times in the afternoon for simple tasks. The afternoon is when you can start to become distracted and lack motivation, so by setting tasks that you know how to do without too much thought keeps your brain engaged on the task, rather than procrastinating.
3. Minimise distractions. Distractions come wherever you work but can be especially more difficult when working remotely as most jobs are done through the Internet. It can be tempting to click on things that aren’t work related and sometimes hard to resist the urge, so make sure you only have the necessary things open and your personal notifications on silent.
Constantly getting up for food or drinks can also be a real distraction as you are taking yourself out of the work head space. If you are doing this often during the day, then you need to make sure to put it on hold and set goals before getting up, and not just get up when you want something.
4. Start your day like you’re heading into the office. Get up and shower, or even workout. Make yourself breakfast and take all you need into your work space whether that be in your house, or somewhere close by. If you’re heading out of the house, this can be a lot easier as you are leaving as you would to go to the office and don’t have the distractions that you would have at home.
Make sure that when you go to start work that you don’t come back and continue doing personal jobs that get you distracted. If you find this hard to do from home, make an effort to go somewhere like a library or a communal office space.
5. Socialise. Keeping a social calendar (although it sounds ridiculous) is actually really important. Whether you are catching up with friends or having a link up with colleagues, it’s really important to make sure that you aren’t isolating yourself from people around you.
Remote working can make it really easy to become isolated from the people around you as you feel that there may be no necessary reason to leave home. If you have other friends that work from home, try to get into the habit to even work together for a day a week so that you have people around you.
Working remotely can be a great option as long as you are disciplined to make the best of it. It can allow you to work from anywhere in the world and give you the flexibility to have more time with those you love.
At TNT we love our remote working conditions and have gained some of the best talent because there are no limits when you can work from anywhere!
Written by Indianna Higgins 2019